2013 Holiday Party 1Affordable Housing was added to Housing Up’s continuum of housing options in 2005. Washington, DC grows by thousands of residents annually, creating a great need to maintain and expand housing options for low to moderate income and at-risk families.

In 2011, Housing Up completed renovation of six deteriorated buildings, creating two beautiful mixed-income communities: Fort View and Webster Gardens. These communities provide safe and decent housing for working families including permanent homes for formerly homeless families. Fort View and Webster Gardens consist of 114 apartments; 30% of which are set-aside for extremely low-income, formerly homeless households, who have been through a transitional housing program. The remaining 70% of apartment units are set-aside for working households meeting the Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC) 60% of the Area Median Income requirement. Resident services are provided at both properties. For working families struggling with housing costs, an adequate supply of  affordable housing with resident services is critical in preventing them from slipping into homelessness.

In 2015, we added the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Commons to our roster of affordable housing properties. Weinberg Commons, located in Southeast DC, is an innovative, nationally recognized apartment community that combines state-of-the-art energy performance features with affordable rents and a range of supportive services for low-income and formerly homeless families. The 36-unit property for low-income families and families experiencing homelessness is incredibly energy efficient and is the first multifamily retrofit Passive House project in the country. This term refers to the sustainable, green architecture approach used in its construction and retrofitting. The units are extremely well-insulated and heated by passive solar gains allowing ultra-low energy use; tenants pay next-to-nothing for utility bills. Of the 36 units, 24 are for low-income families at rents less than $1,000 a month, and the other 12 provide permanent supportive housing for formerly homeless families.

Check out our media page for more information on Fort View, Webster Gardens and Weinberg Commons.

Awards & Recognition

The Webster Gardens and Fort View developments are a great success and have earned several awards for financial innovation, design, and historic preservation. In June of 2012, Housing Up and development partner, Somerset Development Company, were recognized by the Housing Association of Nonprofit Developers (HAND) with an award “2012 Best Large Affordable Housing Development” for the Fort View and Webster Gardens apartments.

In 2013, Housing Up won the Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Real Estate Award for our Weinberg Commons property from the University of Maryland’s Colvin Institute for Real Estate Development. Weinberg Commons is a deep energy retro-fit open to 36 low-income families, conforming to Passive House (PH) certification standards – the first of its kind in the United States.

In 2017, Weinberg Commons officially becamePHIUS+ certified project, making it the first multi-family retrofit apartment building in the country certified by the Passive House Institute US (PHIUS).

Photo Credit: David Moss